Friday 14 October 2016

How I Juggle A Job, Uni and Blogging

When I first started out blogging in Spring of this year, I was lucky enough to have finished my first year at Uni and at the time, I didn't have a job. This meant I had loads of time to really concentrate on my blogging, writing posts and taking photos. I always had posts ready to go well in advance and even had back up posts incase I was busy. I posted 4 times a week, which I always found an easy target to reach, and I always had time to really focus on my blog. That was until July when I got myself a job and ended up working up to 6 days a week, and then September when I went back to being at Uni full time. This meant blogging couldn't always be my priority and I had to find myself a balance of all three. I still struggle now finding time to sit and write posts or take photos with all my studying or overtime I do, but I think I've found myself a routine I like.

Making a plan is something I find to make things much easier. I've always made myself a blogging plan, where I set certain days where I'll write certain posts, take photos or read through other bloggers posts. It means I'll usually always have my posts ready to go, unless of course I'm really too busy to write posts. I cut back my posts and now blog three times a week, on a Monday, Wenesday and then a Friday or Saturday, which I can usually stick to, but of course some weeks can be harder than others. A plan means that, if I know I'm going to be really busy one week, I can write two blog posts in a day so will have an extra ready to go. I've also added study hours to my plan, as I'm now at the point in my Uni semester where the work is really starting and I need to set aside hours to study, write essays and do assignments. My education is my priority at the moment, so when I have a few hours to spare I'll study nowadays when I would have used to write posts. But having a backup store of posts on extremely busy weeks can make life so much easier.

Something I've learnt in recent months is not to stress when I don't get a blog post finished in time. I know I'd much rather wait and post a quality post I'm proud of than rush a post just so it went up on one of my assigned days. Some weeks over summer, I'd be working all day for 5 or six days, so when I got home all I wanted to was sleep and eat and my motivation to write posts was pretty low. Sometimes I'd want to force myself into writing one, but I knew it would be half-hearted and it wasn't worth it. So I've learned now to only post blog posts I'm proud of and happy to share, rather than posting just because I feel I have to.

Another thing I always do is take my laptop with me to Uni, so on any breaks I have during the day, I can write up blog posts then. Some days I might have a two hour gap between lectures, so dedicate an hour to studying and the other to my blog, which is an extra hour I wouldn't have thought to used. I work weekends just now while I'm at Uni, and any breaks I have there are pretty short and I need them to eat my lunch, so I never take my laptop with me there. But finding any spare hour here and there really does make a big difference.

The most important thing I've learned about having a job, a blog and going to Uni, is you can manage all three if you take your time and plan it out. Some weeks, one will have priority over the others and you may have to shift your plan a bit, but it makes life so much easier in the long run. Cutting down on the amount of blog posts you write to make sure you're proud of every one you post isn't the worst thing in the world, and I'm sure my readers will appreciate it.

Let me know if you have to juggle a job or Uni with your blog, and how you work around it. Thank you so much for reading my post and I hope you all have a great day!

See you guys soon x

1 comment:

  1. Great post!!! We just started our blog and it's kinda hard to fit everything into one day. We'll definitely have to make a plan soon and take some tips from here, thanks for sharing your advice!

    Dandynsofia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete