Friday 12 August 2016

My Learning To Drive Experience

I was the kind of person that, as soon as I turned 17, I was out in a car and ready to learn how to drive. I live quite far away from the nearest town, so being able to drive would make my life so much easier, and it also meant no more buses (yay). I was lucky enough that I was able to start lessons with a driving instructor not long after my 17th birthday as well as go out in my own car for some extra practice. That's why I was really excited when Book Learn Pass got in touch with me about doing a post on my experience learning to drive. I loved learning to drive, and would encourage anyone who's able to do it to learn as early as they can.

For my 17th birthday, my mum and dad got me a block of 20 driving lessons with a driving instructor my dad was really good friends with, which was good as it meant we got them at a discounted price. I was really lucky they were able to afford this, as I know that the cost of lessons can be a big reason why so many people don't learn to drive. I was so excited to start my lessons and to be out on the road, and had even got my provisional license sent away for 3 months before I turned 17 - I was far too eager. On the day of my first lesson, I was picked up after school by my instructor and taken to a quiet street nearby most instructors take learners to on their first lessons. I was so excited, but really nervous I wouldn't be able to pick it up. I had no reason to be worried though as I took to it really easily.

My first lesson didn't exactly go to plan though. I was going along one stretch of road when I saw a woman reversing out of her driveway. Since I was on the main road, I knew I had the right of way and kept driving along. She either never saw me or thought she had the time to pull out, but she ended up reversing right into the front of my instructors car. It was terrifying, and even though I had done nothing wrong, I felt as if I had. I was nervous my instructor would be mad at me or that the woman would somehow twist it and blame the situation on me. It ended up working out fine though as they swapped insurance numbers and my instructor got his car got fixed - even though he did need to use a courtesy car for a week. It never even knocked my confidence or stopped me from getting back in the car for a lesson the following week. My instructor even told me he was surprised by how much the situation hadn't phased me, as that really could've caused a lot of people to stop learning completely. I'm so glad I kept going though - why should I let some stupid woman stop me.

I was very eager to pass my test, but still didn't want to rush the whole 'learning to drive' experience. I waited a few months before I sat my theory test, as it is quite a bit of money for a student and I wanted to make sure I'd be able to pass. Thankfully I did pass first time and booked my practical test straight away. I really enjoyed my lessons even though it did get a bit repetitive by the end, but practice makes perfect I guess. I was lucky enough that before my test, I was able to buy my own car that I could practice in whenever I liked. I feel like this was a really big help to me as I was out practicing almost every night, and it also meant I had some experience driving in the dark. So by the time I finally sat my test, I felt very confident that I knew how to drive well. After 25 lessons with my driving instructor and numerous out in my own car, I passed my driving test at the end of 2014 and have been driving every day since.

I love being able to drive and the freedom it gives you. Not only does it mean no buses or taxis or lifts from family and friends, but you can go out and do things you wouldn't have normally done. I even love just going drives at night by myself or nipping out to McDonalds - I actually did put on some weight when I passed with all my fast food trips. Passing my driving test has honestly been one of the best things I've done and I'm so happy I learned straight away. I think the earlier you can the better, because, as time goes by, a lot of people start putting it off and putting it off and end up never learning. It honestly does give you a new lease on life and I'd encourage anyone, who has the money, time and will, to get out on the road.

Let me know about your learning to drive experience or, if you haven't learnt to drive yet, what's been putting you off. Thank you so much for reading my post and I hope you all have a great day!

See you guys soon x 

*This post was written in collaboration with Book Learn Pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment