Thursday 17 November 2016

Rimmel Lipstick Lock: Does It Work?

One of my biggest pet hates is when 'long-lasting lipstick' turns out to actually be pretty short lasting. I'm a lazy person, and when I put on my lipstick in the morning I can never be bothered re-applying it during the day. That's why I decided, when I was on a recent shopping spree, to pick up Rimmel London's Lipstick Lock which claims to lock in your colour for the whole day. I was really entrigued to try this and to see if it actually worked, and if it did work, how long did it actually 'lock in' your colour for.

First of all, this product was pretty affordable so it wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't fully work. I was pretty excited to try it, because this would be an absolute life-saver for me if it worked well. I started pretty high with this and tried it over my MAC Viva Glam III lipstick, which is a red-berry tone. I then went out for the day to see how well it worked. I also tried it over other MAC shades to see how well it worked with a glossier lipstick compared to a matte one.

The first thing I need to say about this is that it smells pretty strongly of nail varnish remover, and it tastes like it too (not that I've ever tried to eat nail varnish remover). The smell of acetone is pretty strong and I honestly second guessed if it was safe to apply to my lips. The smell does go away after a while though, but it was pretty off-putting to start off with. When applying it over my matte shades, it doesn't change the appearance too much as it has a slight drying affect which matte lipsticks already have. Applying it over glossy and sheen lipticks does make it go slighly matte though, as it does dry out your lips so I wouldn't recommend this.

Every time I've used this, I've seen an increase in the length of time my lipstick has lasted me which I've been so happy with. It may not feel the most comfortable on the lips, but my lipstick has stayed in place much longer than it normally would. One thing I do need to say though is that anytime I was eating or drinking, my lipstick did still slightly smudge, which is understandable but does mean this product isn't perfect. On days when I know I'll be out the house for quite a while, re-applying my lipstick and lipstick lock after eating seems to work out well for me.

Overall as a product, it does what it says and keeps your lipstick in place pretty well. It does have several negative points, some of which can be overlooked and some which are slightly irritating. But due to the fact this product was pretty affordable, I'm happy I bought it and tried it out. Let me know if you've tried it out before and what your experiences of it have been. Thank you so much for reading my post and I hope you all have a great day!

See you guys soon x

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking at the product for a while now and debated whether to buy it or not! After seeing your review, I might decide against it. I get pretty dry lips as it is so matte lipsticks are no good for me; I stick with creamy ones and lipgloss and lots and lots of lipbalm! The idea of it smelling of nail varnish is off-putting too! I love an honest post!

    Sian x
    http://theenglisheverygirl.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had my eye on this for ages now and after reading this I think I need to invest and give it a whirl! Fab post :) xxx
    Rachel | www.rachelxblog.com

    ReplyDelete