Tuesday 8 November 2016

Does Cocoa Butter Really Help Reduce Stretch Marks?

I've suffered from pretty bad stretch marks since I was young. I had quite a growth spurt when I was about 12, and ended up with really bad marks on my inner thighs. To be honest, they never bothered me too much because it was an area of my body, at that age, that rarely anoyone else but myself saw. But in the past year or so, I've gained more on my outer thighs and hips which honestly really make me feel self conscious, especially when I wear crop tops. So that's why I decided to try and find a way to get rid of them, or at least reduce their appearance. I tried out various prodcust from Boots that never really worked for me, so ended up trying Palmers cocoa butter as it's been known for years to reduce strech mark appearances and many pregnant women use it. I had pretty high hopes for it, anfter hearing some people say it really worked for them, even when my mum told me it wouldn't work. But did it work?

Honestly, no. I used the whole 125g tube and barely saw a difference. I have four regions that I used the cream on: my two outer thighs and the two sides of my hips, and I applied it every time I came out of a shower or bath. This meant I was applying it mostly every day, so it's not as if I was rarely ever using it. After a few weeks, I felt as if I saw a slight reduction in the marks on my left hip. Their appearance wasn't as red or obvious, but not as much as I would have hoped for. I thought this was the cream starting to work though, giving it the benefit of the doubt, and that it would continue to reduce the appearence in the coming weeks. But no. That's all I saw and it's still all I've seen.

I've heard of pregnant women who have used this throughout their pregnancy seeing a massive reduction in their stretch marks while using this. I'm not sure if my stretch marks aren't deep or thick enough (I have no idea on that kind of thing to be honest) but I thought mines would have been easier to reduce. Obviously not. Plus my marks are relatively new, as I know older ones that have turned a white colour are harder to get rid of. And I always applied a generous amount of it - so much so I used the whole thing up in about 4 months. But I haven't repurchased it as I find it to be a waste of money, and not worth the effort. I did honestly get my hopes up regarding this product, and I try to see the best in everything I try, but this really disappointed me.

All I can say is that if you're looking for a product to reduce the appearance of strech marks, go and ahead and try it. It may not work for me but it might work for you. I honestly didn't see much of an improvement in my stretch marks, and certainly saw no difference in my other three regions, but I know it has worked for others. But it did definitely leave my skin smelling like chocolate.

Let me know if you've ever tried using cocoa butter to reduce stretch marks, or if you know any other products that actually work. Thank you for reading my post and I hope you all have a great day!

See you guys soon x

8 comments:

  1. It sucks that you didn't find results from this cream. I was tempted to give it a go myself but this is the second negative review that I've read now so maybe I'll give it a miss. If you manage to find some kind of miracle cream then do let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought about trying this, but I've not seen good words about it so don't think I will. Bio oil is supposed to be good! Great review lovely!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your honest review of this product, such a shame that it didn't work out for you! 😞 Stretch marks are really nothing to be ashamed of though, they're just signs that you've grown and that's no bad thing! I think of mine as tiger stripes or battle scars that show how strong I am now! 🐯 Much love!

    Abbey ✨ www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe try a dry oil? That's helped me x

    www.zestofalice.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used Bio-Oil when pregnant and found it really worked!
    Now I use coconut oil (because quite frankly, it works for EVERYTHING and smells yummy!
    I'd give it a go, it's cheaper than fancy oils too, and natural!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I think bloggers are so much better than magazines! can actually get some honest opinions haha. Thanks for sharing

    G x

    www.teawithgi.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree this stuff really doesn't work as well as it says it does, there is one cream I got from my doctors that helped reduce the colour of scars, you could always ask about that! I have it for some broken bone scars/marks and it works like a gem x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your honesty again here! I have this and always forget to use it. Like you I have stretch marks on my inner thighs and under my bum too and it's impossible to get rid of them! I might try this again but I'm sad that it didn't work that well for you.

    Sian x
    http://theenglisheverygirl.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete